Continuing Education at Downeast School of Massage, Waldoboro,
90-Hour Shiatsu Course - 2016
Thursdays: February 16; March, 2, 9, 16, 23; April 6, 13, 20, 27; May 4, 11, 18, 25; June 1 & 8.
Time: Classes are scheduled to meet from 9 AM to 4 PM
90 CE hrs, NCTMB approved
Cost: Shiatsu I: $1,700.00
Shiatsu, derived from the ancient system of Chinese Medicine which gave us acupuncture, has been called “acupuncture without needles.” Shiatsu treats the common complaints of clients, as well as headaches, digestive, heart and circulatory disorders, asthma and other breathing problems. It goes beyond treating the muscles to address underlying energetic imbalances that may cause chronic muscle tension and postural distortion. Shiatsu treatments are effective for many symptoms, from physical pain to emotional stress and fatigue. Shiatsu enhances vitality.
- Students will be introduced to the basic premise of Oriental Medicine, the 5 principles of Shiatsu, Meridian Lines, Yin/Yang Theory, Oriental diagnosis, Ki and the Hara. Differences between Eastern and Western Medicine, Swedish and Shiatsu will also be discussed.
- Students will be able to experience through practice energy release work and become acquainted with the concept of Chi or Ki.
- Students will be encouraged to experience energetic patterns and pathways that underlie muscular tension and structural misalignment.
- Students will practice pressure on tsubos for the purpose of detecting energy and experiencing treatments.
- Specific pressure points will be presented and practiced. A few simple treatments for specific ailments will be practiced.
- To work with diagnosis, i.e., Hara, 5 Element, Bo, & Yu pts.
- To work with smoothing out the session moving from one meridian to another
A. Stretches – transitions
B. To work towards that end we will do more with stretches & yoga ourselves
- Hands on experience working with Kyo & Jitsu – using Hara diagnosis to create a session including stretches specific for the individual client.
A. Talk on Yin Yang going further
- To integrate principles of shiatsu into massage therapy sessions.
- Discuss the correlation between muscles, meridians and trigger points.
- Practice shiatsu techniques taught on the table for the relief of neck & shoulder pain.
- Practice shiatsu techniques taught on the table for the relief of psoas, lower back, hip & knee pain.
- Learn how to work meridians with resistance.
- Bring the energy or Shiatsu into massage practice.
Instructor Lucy Goulet, B.A., M.A., NCTMB, is a Licensed Massage Therapist with more than 40 years of professional experience and training in Eastern and Western Modalities. Lucy studied at the Ohashi Institute in New York and is a member of the AOBTA and a past president of the Maine AMTA Chapter. She has had extensive training in Bio-Energetic Therapy, Yoga, Polarity, and NMT. Her practice focuses primarily on the psycho-spiritual components of physical problems. Lucy has been teaching at DSM for 20 years and has a private practice in Camden, Maine.
For more information or to register for this course, call Downeast
School of Massage, 207-832-5531.
Return to Continuing Ed Page | Go
to DSM Home Page | Go to Forum Index